Survey Director of the Thorntonhall project, Susan Hunter, and members Ian Marshall, Janie Munro and Christine McDiarmid carried out a drawn survey of a rare site, a waulk mill. The mill on the River Cart was last recorded in use in 1830 but may date from as early as the 17th century. Consisting of a lade and two buildings, the mill and a possible house, the site lies on a flood plain and is in a ruinous condition. Waulk mills used the power of water to operate hammers that pounded cloth or leather to process and soften it. View more pictures in the Gallery.